SMOKED SALMON WITH CUCUMBER AND CREAM CHEESE
While smoked salmon is considered a delicacy, it is also plentiful, affordable, and it works in many dishes – appetizers, sandwiches, salads and even in the main course, like pasta.
What is Smoked Salmon?
Smoked salmon can be made from any part of the fish, and it starts with salt curing or brining. The next step is smoking the fish in one of two ways.
The salmon is slowly exposed to smoke in about an 80°F environment for a few days. The salmon doesn’t get cooked, so the flesh of cold-smoked salmon stays very moist and silky and has a beautiful translucent pink color. It is usually sold thinly sliced.
The salmon is smoked with heat in the same way meat gets smoked. The fish gets cooked all the way through and ends up with a firm, flaky, and drier texture, but it also has a distinct smoky flavor. When shopping for hot-smoked salmon, it looks very similar to a piece of cooked or grilled salmon.
Sometimes you will hear smoked salmon called lox. The two are very similar in taste and preparation, and only a purist would claim many differences.
What Should I Serve with Smoked Salmon?
Soft cheeses also pair well with salmon; regular cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese are excellent choices; try well-aged Brie for a truly special taste.
If you like lots of flavors you can also pair the smoked salmon with a flavored spread; dill, horseradish, lemon or capers can be mixed with the softened cheese and goes especially well with salmon.
Like This Recipe? Try These!
Smoked Salmon Appetizers with Cucumber and Dill Cream Cheese
Stand someplace safe when you serve these! Make an extra platter because they seem to disappear quickly!
The little dab of cream cheese has been flavored with the pop of fresh dill.
These easy yet elegant smoked salmon appetizers give a crunchy, creamy bite and are blue-ribbon worthy.
They can be served chilled or at room temperature. Perfect for cocktails, brunch, baby showers, Mother’s Day, and more.
They are one bite perfection.
Smoked Salmon with Cucumber and Cream Cheese Appetizers
- 2 English Cucumbers peeled and cut into 1" rounds
- 1 pound smoked salmon cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Horseradish more or less to taste
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream optional
- Toothpicks or tiny party forks
- Peel cucumbers and slice them into 1" circles. Arrange on a platter as desired. Place in the refrigerator while preparing the cream cheese.
- Place cream cheese, dill, horseradish, and cream in a large bowl. Beat until well combined (a handheld mixer really helps here.)
- Spread 1 teaspoon of cream cheese on top each cucumber slice (more or less to taste), then top each slice with a bite sized piece of smoked salmon. Insert a toothpick down the center to keep in place.
- Serve at once, or keep in the refrigerator until needed.
Perfect Party Appetizer Recipe
These would also be great for Mother’s Day, Easter, wedding showers or a celebratory Brunch! They’re great for an appetizer spread, because they’re nice and light. Meaning you’re guests will actually have room for the main meal. Also,
If you prefer, you can leave the horseradish and/or dill out of the cream cheese if you want a more subtle bite. A little spritz of lemon adds a bright note before serving. The recipe is so versatile, you can confidently make any changes you want.
Fancy toothpicks or little forks are perfect for serving these one-bite appetizers and perfect for parties! Here is where I found the ones I used here –